Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Week 11: Cole Hamels or Max Scherzer?


I realized I have been neglecting pitchers this year. We're a third of the way through the season, and I've only chosen one pitcher as my MLBoyfriend so far. So, I had my eyes peeled for a hurler who could win my heart.


On Friday, June 7, Cole Hamels threw a great game for the Cubs. He pitched 8 innings giving up just two hits, one base on balls and no earned runs. Hamels ended with game with 10 strikeouts, a 0.50 WHIP, a 0.00 ERA, a quality start and a win.



It seemed Hamels would win the MLBoyfriend title again after a two years since he was lasted named.


Then, the very next day, Saturday, June 8, Max Scherzer threw a heck of a game.


Scherzer went scored a win and a quality start by going 7 complete innings for the Nationals with 1 base on balls, 6 hits, 9 strikeouts, and zero earned runs. That gave him a 0.00 ERA and 1.00 WHIP for the game.



Now, the stat heads out there have certainly noticed that Hamels stats are little better than Scherzer's. You might think that would earn Hamels the title. However, we know that my MLBoyfriend is not just about stats.
Max Scherzer (who is also a past winner) has the heterochromia iridis (a.k.a. different colored eyes) going for him.


On the other hand, Cole Hamels has the super handsome face thing going for him.


Then again, Scherzer is pretty darn cute himself, and he has the most adorable bobble head.


As anyone can tell, I have carefully weighed the options, but I still couldn't pick. So...

Congratulations, Cole Hamels! You are my MLBoyfriend of the week.



Congratulations, Max Scherzer too! You are also my MLBoyfriend of the week.



UPDATE 6/13/19: Literally as I was writing this post, Cole Hamels may have been engaging in some unsporting conduct. Hamels beaned Nolan Arenado with a pitch last night--he might not have been intending to hit him, but he was definitely sending a message. The Cubs and Rockies have been engaged in a messy feud the past few days. I won't recap it, you can read about it here if you're interested. Hamels did put up some very good pitching stats last night and he even got two hits and two RBIs (a rare feat for a pitcher)--but his, let's say, aggressive throws aggravated the hard feelings between the teams.

So...

Sorry, Cole Hamels. In an MLBoyfriend first (sort of), your title is being rescinded. You are not cute enough to overcome being a bad sport.

I tried to find a picture of Cole Hamels being sad.
This was the closest I could find--and it's not very close.
Congratulations again, Max Scherzer. You are now my only MLBoyfriend of the week.

There are, of course, many pictures of Max Scherzer happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment