Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Special All-Star Break Edition


Welcome to the first All-Star MLBoyfriend Tournament.

This year, I'll be picking my  All-Star MLBoyfriend from the Home Run Derby participants. There are three reasons for this. First, I saw a lot more of the Home Run Derby than I did the actual All-Star game, so I can make a better informed choice. Second, there's a more manageable pool to select from. Finally, MLB nicely created this very handy bracket for me to use.




First Round

Matt Chapman vs. Vladimir Guerrero Jr.

Matt Chapman is certainly a strong contender.


But Chapman doesn't have Vlad Guerrero Jr.'s pedigree, style or hair.


Also, Chapman was the top seed in the Home Run Derby bracket, while Guerrero was the bottom. I love a Cinderella story.

Winner: Vladimir Guerrero Jr.



Alex Bregman vs. Joc Pederson

This is the toughest match–up for me to judge. Both Alex Bregman and Joc Pederson are former MLBoyfriends. Going into this, there really would have been no good reason for me not to pick Bregman. I mean....



However, Pederson is equally worthy, and since I'm doing this ex post facto, I want to advance him for the picture opportunities it allows in later rounds.



Winner: Joc Pederson



Pete Alonso vs. Carlos Santana

I have to admit that I've been sleeping on these two players a bit. Pete Alonso is certainly easy on the eyes.



But, so is Carlos Santana. Plus, when I Googled "Carlos Santana" some great music came up.



Unfortunately for Santana, he plays for one of my least favorite teams in all of baseball. Fortunately for Alonso, he's a rookie. We have a soft spot for rookies here at MLBoyfriend.

Winner: Pete Alonso



Josh Bell vs. Ronald Acuña Jr.

I was super happy to see Josh Bell be selected for the All-Star Game. He's definitely having a break–out year, and everyone is taking notice.



On the other hand, Ronald Acuña Jr. is a former MLBoyfriend. As my father likes to say, "Dance with the one who brung you." Plus, Acuña blew bubbles during the Home Run Derby.



So far, this bracket has been going just like the Home Run Derby did, and what fun is that? So...

Winner: Ronald Acuña Jr.



Semi–Finals

Joc Pederson vs. Vladimir Guerrero Jr.

Anyone who saw the actual Home Run Derby knows that the Pederson–Guerrero slug fest was, by far, the most exciting round of the night. The pictures of the two of them when is was over are also just the best.






This is really tough, but I have to chose. I do love Joc, and we go way back.


But even Joc couldn't compete with this picture of Vlad Jr with Vlad Sr. taken in 2002.


Winner: Vladimir Guerrero Jr.



Pete Alonso vs. Ronald Acuña Jr.

Acuña is going to be tough to beat.



Alonso really caught my eye during the Home Run Derby with his swagger, and who doesn't like a baseball player with swagger? Alonso took the opportunity to ignore the "unwritten rules of baseball" and did some great showboating.





Winner: Pete Alonso



The Championship

Vladimir Guerrero Jr. vs. Pete Alonso

So, my final round turns out to be the same as the final round of the Home Run Derby.



Of course, Alonso won the trophy in Cleveland, but many people thought Guerrero was the star of the night. The race to become my MLBoyfriend was about as tight as it could be. The last time a rookie won the Derby he also won the MLBoyfriend title, but this was a battle between two rookies. So that couldn't be the deciding factor.

There's no doubt Pete Alonso put on a great show at the Derby, and he's definitely MLBoyfriend material.



In the end, though, Guerrero's performance in the semi–finals of the Home Run Derby was the stuff of legend, and the joy he had that night won my heart.



Congratulations, Vladimir Guerrero Jr.! You are my All-Star MLBoyfriend. You faced some very stiff competition and emerged victorious. I'm sorry I don't have $1,000,000 to give you, but the honor of the MLBoyfriend title is just as good, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment