Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Week 18: Asher Wojciechowski

 

Sure, last week's MLBoyfriend had a long, difficult last name. However, most baseball fans know how to pronounce Yaztrzemski even if there's not a chance in Hell that they could spell it. I decided to really up the ante this week with Asher Wojciechowski. Actually, I chose him because he pitched to great games for the Baltimore Orioles last week.


On Sunday, July 21, Wojciechowski pitched 7.1 innings against the formidable Boston Red Sox. He struck out 10 batters but gave up just 1 hit, 2 walks, and 0 earned runs. He was scored with both the win and a quality start. Impressively, he had a no–hitter into the seventh inning.



Wojciechowski pitched another gem seven days later on Friday, July 26.  He went 7 full innings against the Los Angeles Angels. In that game, he gave up 3 hits, one walk and just 2 earned runs while striking out 6. He had his second quality start and win for the week.




So, in one week, Wojciechowski pitched 14.1 innings, and had a very low 1.26 ERA and 0.49 WHIP. 


Those two wins were almost enough for Asher Wojciechowski to win the MLBoyfriend title. However, I have to say, his name really did put him over the top for a couple of reasons.
First, it reminded my beloved old Brooklyn neighborhood, the very Polish Greenpoint. Also, his nickname is "Wojo", and "Wojo" was what one of my first TV character crushes Stan Wojciehowicz on Barney Miller* was called.


Max Gail as Wojo on Barney Miller
I think my taste in Wojos has improved in the last four decades.


Congratulations, Asher Wojciechowski! You are my MLBoyfriend of the week! Throw a few more games like the ones you did last week, and I might put my spell–check to the test and give you the title again.



* This doesn't really have anything to do with my MLBofriend, but for what it's worth, there was an episode of Barney Miller with one of the very first gay characters I remember seeing on TV. It hasn't aged that well, but it was very important to me as a tween gay.

No comments:

Post a Comment