Monday, October 2, 2017

Week 26: Bruce Maxwell


Bruce Maxwell is the first and only Major League Baseball player to take a knee during the National Anthem. For the past week, Maxwell has been making a thoughtful, powerful statement for racial justice. I'm going to add to the support he got at home games in Oakland, by making him my final MLBoyfriend of the regular season.

"The point of my kneeling is not to disrespect our military, it's not to disrespect our Constitution, it's not to disrespect this country. ... My hand over my heart symbolizes the fact that I am and I'll forever be an American citizen, and I'm more than grateful to be here. But my kneeling is what is getting the attention because I'm kneeling for the people that don't have a voice." --Bruce Maxell

I'd also like to give a shout out to Maxwell's teammates, especially Mark Canha, for standing behind him both literally and figuratively.


This is point in the post where I usually say "Congratulations" to my new MLBoyfriend, but this week I'm going to do say something else because some things are much more important than baseball stats.

THANK YOU, BRUCE MAXWELL! 

No comments:

Post a Comment