Monday, October 1, 2018

Week 27: Joe Mauer


Since this may well be my last chance to name Joe Mauer my MLBoyfriend, I'm going to take it. 



Joe had a very good week at the plate with a .379 average, .903 OPS, two RBIs and nine runs. On Tuesday, September 25, he reached base for the 3,073rd time breaking Harmon Killebrews on-base record for the Twins.



But, of course, it was Joe's emotion final game of the season--and, quite likely, career--that won him the MLBoyfriend title. If it was, indeed, his last game, the Twins and their fans gave him the perfect send off including a brief return to the catcher's position.



You may have noticed that I've been calling him "Joe" rather than by his last name which is my usual practice in this blog. That's because Joe and I have a real history together. He was my MLBoyfriend once during the first year of this blog and again this year.  He also shared the title with the rest of the Twins starting line up after they had an incredible game that I got to witness in person last year.
Speaking of going to baseball games, I haven't really counted, but I'm 90% sure that Joe is the player I've seen play in the flesh more than any other. I went to Target Field on Thursday, September 27, to see Joe on the field one last time. Here's what will probably be the last picture I'll take of him there.


Congratulations, Joe Mauer! You are my MLBoyfriend of the week. Yes, there is crying in baseball--and it's alright.



No comments:

Post a Comment