Monday, May 16, 2016

Week 6: Max Scherzer


On May 11, Max Scherzer threw 20 strikeouts in a game. In doing so, he tied with Kerry Wood, the odious Randy Johnson, and the even-more-hateful Roger Clemens for the most strikeouts thrown in nine innings and earned the title of my MLBoyfriend of the week.


While in some ways, Scherzer did worse than his 20K peers, he did it with relatively few pitches (119)--so 81% of what he threw were strikes. That's insane.


I'm always happy when a pitcher pulls off a great feat because it leads to my favorite thing in sports photography, the pitcher-and-catcher hug picture. This one of Scherzer and Wilson Ramos did not disappoint.



I'm also really glad Scherzer threw this game for the Nationals in a home game. I have a soft spot for the D.C. team because I think our nation's capital should have good representation in our national pastime. The Nationals tweeted out this great pic the next day.


Max Scherzer has one of my favorite faces in the MLB thanks in large part to his striking heterochromia iridum.


With many other people with this unusual condition, you have to look hard to see the difference, but his eyes are completely different colors.


I hate the goggles athletes wear during champagne celebrations because the are proof that what was once a somewhat spontaneous expression of joy has turned into a boring, pre-planned photo op. However, if the goggles are here to stay, at least Scherzer shows a little humor with his.


Congratulations to Max Scherzer, my strikeout-throwing, blue/brown-eyed MLBoyfriend of the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment